He said:
It all started with admiration. Luckily she was my blockmate, I could observe her discreetly as class days go by. Watching how she walks, talks, and even just how she sits there and listen to the Profs. Then we became morning buddies, courtesy of me being hours early to avoid the traffic jam at my area. This constant early morning chats waiting for the first class period made getting up early easier. With all these events, I was drawn more because of her simplicity… Nothing fancy, not too stylish, nothing overboard… Just plain simple-ness. I remained on the sidelines and just classified being with her, a dream. A dream because of the notion/tradition that it was not possible since she is Chinese.
College years unfolded as it should. Same story which can be described in two words: sidelines and dream. As the latter part of the years came, we became closer because of the different activities and organizing efforts done for our batch. This newfound closeness made me feel that the “dream” is suddenly being pulled within reach. Why not give it a shot, I told myself. This might be the chance that I’ve been waiting for. And there you have it, this choice, chance and courage brought us here. As the sayings go (my own mixed-up version of it): If there’s a will there’s a way, if not, God will make a way. ;-)
She said:
1999
We were blockmates but we had never talked inside the classroom. He usually sat at the back and I sat with the girls in front. We had nothing in common, except that we share the same block section.
I usually arrive in school early, around 7am. I have time to kill before my first class so it is a must that I get a seat at the conservatory. But the conservatory was usually already packed with fellow early birds. And I usually managed to get a seat. But one day, I was a few minutes late. No more seats… And who did I see, sitting all by himself? Yep, you guessed right. Miguel. Brooding. All. By. Himself. (I didn’t know it then, but now I realize, he is always brooding, esp when thinking).
Desperate situation called for desperate measures. I approached him and asked if he can share seats. He said yes and I sat down. That was the start of our friendship and everyday that we’re both early, we shared stories. At that time, he was seeing someone else and I was in the middle of trouble. But we became really close and I started calling him “ahia” meaning big brother in Chinese and he was fast becoming my crush.
Fast Forward 2002-2003
We managed to keep in touch throughout the years. When we see each other, I punched or pinched him and he always always made this suplado face. And the time came when I needed to fill up a position for an SC stint I got involved with, he agreed to help me out. That was the time I realized I was liking him way too much. But I was chicken. So once again, we went our separate ways. But we still kept in touch esp during our OJT days.
And he was there when I was all broken up and in need of fixing. We talked and talked and became closer than ever. And then one day, when I told him that I am mended, he made me open his email account and read a letter in the draft folder. In that letter, he confessed on how much he had liked me way before but it was always the wrong time for either one of us. But now that our paths had crossed once again, he wanted to give it a try.
I didn’t make it easy for him. I told him that he MUST have the approval of my parents (knowing how picky my parents are and I wasn’t sure if he was going to pass their standards, the first being that he isn’t Chinese). I had him travel from Paranaque to Malabon (where I lived) to meet my parents and he was scrutinized by Mom and interviewed by Dad over a bottle of beer. He got thumbs up, not only from my parents but from my siblings as well…
So on January 29, 2004, we officially became a couple. It was not always smooth road for us but we conquered every obstacle. And now, we am looking forward to a new chapter in our lives.
Michael is a smart and dedicated groom-to-be. Loves to play video games. Has passion for gadgets. The techie one.
Stell is a no fuss, no frills bride-to-be. Loves to read books. Has passion for photography and travel. The bookish one.